Massage therapy focuses on relaxing muscles and can also be used to speed up the rehabilitation process after an injury. Now, there are several different types of massage therapy options based on different needs. In this article, we take a look at the 8 most popular massages.
1. Thai Massage
A massage therapist usually assists you in performing specific exercises of yoga. The therapist will assist you in stretching to relax the muscles. This type of massage includes pressing movements all over the body to reduce stress and improve flexibility.
Aromatherapy includes the usage of essential oils. Lavender and rose are some of the primarily used oils. A massage therapist uses these oils to treat headaches, insomnia, and digestive problems.
3. Hot Stone Massage
In this massage therapy, hot stones are used, usually basalt stones. The massage therapy consists of rubbing hot stones on different parts of the body to relax and loosen tight muscles that are causing pain and limiting your daily activities.
4. Deep Tissue Massage
Deep tissue massage does not involve heavy pressing. Deep tissue massage focuses on targeting muscle knots which cause chronic pain. These muscle knots, when pressed gently can be loosened and can relieve you from the chronic pain. Apart from relieving chronic pain, deep tissue massage also provides a relaxing sensation that can assist in reducing stress levels. Deep tissue massage can help treat several conditions in a person.
5. Relaxation Massage
Relaxation massage primarily focuses on massaging the body without giving painful pressures. This type of massage is apt if you have a pain that is low in intensity.
6. Sports Massage
People involved in any sport suffer numerous sports injuries throughout their career. Massage therapy assists them to increase flexibility and clears their range of motion issues. Modern sports teams have their massage therapists with themselves during every sport event. This ensures that if an athlete requires massage, the therapist is available to help immediately.
7. Shiatsu Massage
Shiatsu is a Japanese massage, wherein the massage therapist will apply pressure using fingers, thumbs, elbows, knees, or feet to massage your entire body. This organized use of fingers and other parts of the body allows the therapists to relieve you of stress and other health-related issues. Shiatsu also assists in increasing energy levels by stimulating the pressure points that release energy.
8. Pregnancy Massage
Pregnant women often complain about having back and ankle issues because of the excessive weight. Pregnancy massage therapy assists pregnant women by relieving them of such pain. This type of massage therapy focuses on giving patients a drug-free relief from pain.
If you are a pregnant woman, sportsperson, or a person who needs a break and wants to relax, you can accordingly opt for a massage therapy session in your locality. You can contact us and book an appointment based on your needs. If you are unable to travel to our massage clinics, we also provide in-home massage treatment to our clients as well.
Do you have a loved one who is suffering from depression? If yes, you may want to take utmost care of that loved one. There are several causes of depression. These causes include losing a loved one, work stress, failure, enduring monetary losses, and others. A person suffering from depression experiences enormous emotional instability and stress. This stress takes a toll on the physical well-being of a person and massages therapy assists in relieving a person’s stress. Massage therapy has some many benefits, so let’s take a look at them and how it can help people with depression.
Massage Therapy for Depression
There are several ways through which massage therapists can heal pain points in a patient and help them with depression. Let's take a look at some of the massage therapies that can assist your loved ones in overcoming depression:
A benefit of this type of massage therapy is that it substantially reduces a patient’s heart rate and blood pressure in just 10 minutes.
A particular benefit of using this type of massage therapy is because it assists in relieving a person of stress and helps him to relax.
A hot stone massage is considered to be capable of giving a person mental relaxation that can help them recover from depression.
There is no single solution to depression, however, massage therapy can assist your loved ones in overcoming it. It will work best when a massage therapist knows and opts for different types of massage therapies prescribed by his doctor.
Massage is a relaxation therapy which is loved by all. It not only relaxes you but also soothes your sore muscles and release your anxiety. So why only restrict it for yourself as a postnatal massage therapy? Infants and babies should also get massages. According to a massage therapist in Calgary, giving massages to your baby not only relieves their stress and anxiety but also strengthens their muscles. The thing to keep in mind though is to use the correct technique of massage so that you do not end up hurting your baby. To help you do it the correct way, here are some tips to massage your baby.
The Provisions for a Good Baby Massage
Before you settle down to give a soothing massage to your little one, make sure you have all the supplies at hand. The purpose of keeping everything ready is not just for convenience. When you, again and again, interrupt your session to go and get something, the massage loses its continuity and the effect could be less relaxing for the baby. So before you settle down, keep the following supplies ready at hand:
1) A soft blanket
2) Baby Oil/ Olive Oil/Coconut Oil
4) Wipes or tissues
5) A pacifier or a small jingly toy
The Method of a Good Baby Massage
1) First, choose a flat surface where you can comfortably settle with your baby. Make sure the surface is large enough for the baby to roll over. Either choose the floor or a bed and cover the surface with a soft blanket before your place your baby.
2) Calmly settle down your baby on the surface and undress the baby. Now before you start with the massage, ask for the baby’s permission and wiggle your fingers in front of them. This is something professional massage therapist suggest so that the baby becomes prepared for a massage.
3) Now gently start the massage by rubbing your oily palms on the baby’s forehead. Always remember to go from up to down. In slow movements, massage the forehead, nose, chin, cheeks and then move towards the neck.
4) Now make your baby lie down on the tummy and massage the back of the neck. Slowly move towards the shoulders, arms and back. Make sure to keep oiling your palms for a smooth massage. Also, if your baby is not able to lie down in the belly, make your baby sit by providing support and then massage the back.
5) Now turn your baby and massage the chest and belly area. Make small circles on the whole surface and do not exert extreme pressure.
6) Now move to the legs by slowly massaging them from top to the bottom of the feet. Finish off by making small circles on the bottom of the feet with your thumbs.
When giving your baby a massage, do keep a track of their eating and sleeping pattern so that the same is not disrupted. Also, do not time yourself and let both, the baby and you enjoy the massage. If you still feel that you may not be able to give a relaxing massage to your baby, do not hesitate to take help from a professional massage therapist in Calgary.
Massage therapy relaxes the muscle tissues and helps to improve its function without any pain. The benefits of massage therapy are not just for the adults, and even the children can benefit from massage sessions. If you are wondering how massage therapy can benefit your child, then here are some of the benefits of giving massage therapy for kids.
Even children suffer from stress. From peer pressure in schools and to deal with competition, the amount of stress experienced by children varies. The touch sensation through massage therapy stimulates a healthier immune system and helps them in coping with stress. The therapy reduces the level of stress hormones. When stress hormone levels are low, kids don’t feel anxious. The lower level of stress hormones results in a healthier immune system and, therefore, may prevent a child from falling ill.
Speedy Recovery from Injuries
Injuries while playing are quite common among children. When a child is injured, it limits his ability to move freely and can also result in growing pains. With massage therapy, kids can recover from their injuries quickly. This is because massage decreases the muscle tension and increases the range of motion. Furthermore, the pain from sprains or swellings can be reduced in a few hours time when massaged properly.
Motor skills and sensory movements are developed as your child grows. Motor skills refers to the ability to perform a movement with maximum certainty. The combination of motor skills and sensory movement is known as a sensorimotor skill which is a process of producing the desired response on receiving the sensory messages. Massage therapy can assist in the development of these skills by reducing any pain or tension in the developing muscles.
Similarly, massage therapy can also have a positive impact on a child’s cognitive capabilities. It can improve the brain function such as boosting the alertness and enhancing the ability to solve math problems quickly.
With massage therapy, your child can be more active and capable of overcoming stress and injuries. In addition to that, it can help in the development of necessary skills as specified above. Therefore, if you are looking for massage therapy for your child, then you can contact us, and we will be ready to help you out.
In today’s stressful world, people tend to get extremely tired by the end of their hectic day. And the back is one such part of the body that experiences the most tension and pain due to constant sitting or standing. Back pain often happens due to inflammation in spinal joints, muscles, discs, and nerves in your back. One of the best ways to relieve stress, and to relax your back muscles and nerves is by getting back massages. Many people love getting massage therapy as it is soothing and makes you feel relaxed. If you or your loved ones experience acute pain around the spinal cord, this simple massage therapy can be a great solution to eliminate or reduce the pain.
Things You’ll Need
1. A firm surface such as a bed or massage table2. A soft towel or sheet to lie on
3. Skin-friendly massage oils or essential oils (optional)
4. Cushion or pillow (optional)
5. Extra napkin or towel
Steps Involved In A Back Massage
1. Massage oil decreases the friction created on the skin during the massage and prevents the pulling of hair. So, ask the person if he/she wants to use oil for massage therapy or not.
2. Ask the person to undress the upper part of the body if you plan to use oil. If not, undressing can be optional.
3. Ask the individual to lie down on his/her stomach. Cover any parts of the body not being worked on with a towel.
4. Rub your hands and warm them up. Cold hands may interfere with the relaxation process.
5. Make the person feel comfortable. Tell them to let you know if anything you are doing is painful or uncomfortable.
6. Pour about one teaspoon of massage oil in the palm of your hand if you plan to use oil. Rub your palms to warm the oil.
7. Spread the oil around the person’s back evenly. Start pressing the lower part of the person’s back with your palms, moving upward with medium pressure.
8. Repeat this technique for 3-5 minutes while gradually increasing from light to medium pressure to warm up the back muscles.
9. Knead the person’s shoulders and back of the neck by holding the area in between your fingers and thumbs and gently squeezing.
10. Continue kneading and move towards the lower back.
11. Use petrissage techniques with shorter, circular strokes using the palm, fingertips, or even the knuckles with more pressure than before. Massage the entire back for 2-5 minutes.
12. Go ahead with Steps 7, 9, and 11 alternately till the person feels better. You can also use other back massage techniques to provide a soothing experience for your loved one.
13. Ask the person to clean up and dress up if you used oil for the massage.
Giving a professional back massage requires knowledge on how to give an effective massage therapy and stressing on the right points. You can consider professional massage therapy in Red Deer if the back pain persists even after you follow the tips mentioned above to give a back massage.
Contraction of the spinal canal results in a problem known as cervical spinal stenosis. Two of the primary reasons for cervical spinal stenosis is the aging and repetitive use of shoulder and neck for various purpose. If you are experiencing this problem and looking for a treatment, then you should consider physiotherapy in Sherwood Park. Cervical spinal stenosis is common amongst senior citizens or athletes suffering from on-field injuries. Degeneration of shoulder bones and heredity are a few more reasons people suffer from this problem. Knowing the symptoms of cervical spinal stenosis becomes vital for patients because if they are informed about the same, they can consult a doctor for further treatment. Here are three common symptoms to know if a patient has cervical spinal stenosis.
Symptoms of Cervical Spinal Stenosis
Cervical spinal stenosis may exist in senior citizens without showing clear indications. This problem manifests symptoms only when the spinal cord or the nerves around it experience a tremendous amount of pressure. Here are three signs that can assist a person in knowing if he has this problem:
1) Numbness or stiffness associated with pain in neck, shoulders, arms, or legs can be an indication that a patient has cervical spinal stenosis. Under such circumstances, the patient might require medical assistance.
2) A person experiences difficulty in maintaining his balance or find it difficult to coordinate his movements and so he often trips and falls.
3) Bowel inconsistency or bladder incontinence can also be symptoms that a patient has cervical spinal stenosis and requires medical attention.
As this problem limits a patient’s movements, a physiotherapist can assist them in increasing flexibility. Physiotherapy is considered to be one of the ways people can improve their flexibility who are suffering from the cervical spinal stenosis.
Physiotherapy for Cervical Spinal Stenosis
Exercising always results in increased flexibility and better balance. Patients who have the problem of cervical spinal stenosis can resort to physiotherapy to improve their mobility. Here are three exercises a patient can do at home that can help him in becoming more flexible.
1) Standing Shoulder Crunches
This exercise can be done by a patient at home by standing and facing the corner of a room.
- Place your hands on the surfaces of the wall, lean towards the wall and push away back to the starting position.
- Do this exercise with three sets of ten repetitions daily to improve flexibility.
A primary benefit of this exercise is that it strengthens the spinal cord. It also protects your lower back from further injury.
2) Backward Shoulder Shrugs
Backward shoulder shrugs can also assist a patient in increasing flexibility.
- In this exercise, the patient must lift his shoulders to his ears and then roll it in an anti-clockwise direction.
- Do three sets of ten repetitions every day.
This exercise works towards releasing the shoulders of their stiffness.
3) Prone Cobra
To do this physiotherapy exercise, follow these steps:
- Lie down with your forehead facing the ground on a towel.
- Spread your hands in a way that your palms face the ceiling.
- Touch the top of your mouth with your tongue and lift your shoulders in a way that your hands also rise with the shoulders.
- When raising the hands, roll your elbows inside with thumbs facing up.
- Ten seconds in this position can help you.
- Repeating the same procedure ten times can help in yielding best results.
This exercise works towards strengthening the muscles of the lower back and glutes.
Apart from helping you overcome cervical spinal stenosis, physical exercises also improve mental condition as exercise can have direct effects on brain. To know more about treating cervical spinal stenosis, book your visit to a physiotherapist in Sherwood Park.
Leg injuries are common among senior citizens and sportspeople. Leg injuries come uninvited and leave the person with limited flexibility or mobility. When a person suffers a leg injury, the individual may have to rely on others for doing day-to-day activities. Physiotherapists will suggest several ways to increase mobility and fitness with the help of physiotherapy. Both massage therapy and physiotherapy can work towards gaining the necessary mobility and flexibility in the injured leg. Here are five physiotherapy exercises that can help you get back to performing your routine activities like walking, jumping or running in quick time.
1. Double knee to chest raises
In this exercise, a patient may not require any equipment. Here is how you can do this exercise at home:
• Lay down on the mat with your legs and hands stretched out.
• Bring both the knees slowly towards your chest.
• Place your hands just below the knees and above the shin.
• Hold your knees in the same position for 10 seconds.
• Release your hands from the legs.
• Slowly bring the knees back to their original position.
This stretching activity is beneficial when done for at least ten times. One of the significant benefits of this exercise is it assists in freeing up the lower back muscles that have become stiff since your injury.
2. Flat leg cycles
Here is how you can perform this physiotherapy exercise:
• Lay down on the mat with your hands and legs stretched out.
• Raise your legs nearly 60 degrees and spread out your arms at an angle that can provide proper support.
• Start moving your legs as you would paddle your bicycle with your legs raised.
• Repeat this exercise for nearly 20 repetitions.
This exercise has two benefits. The number one is it will strengthen your abdominal muscles. Plus, it will support the hip muscles that became stiff because of the leg injury.
3. Full knee extension
For this exercise, a patient would require a chair. Here is how one should do the training:
• Sit on a high chair that can provide your knee a ninety-degree bend.
• Slowly raise your one leg and stretch it till it becomes horizontal.
• Hold the same position for five seconds and slowly bring the leg back down to its original position.
• Repeat the same steps for another leg.
This exercise should be done 20 times repeatedly for each leg. Doing this exercise can assist you in strengthening knee muscles and enhancing your ability to stand. Furthermore, knee extensions can also improve knee rotation motion.
4. Hamstring stretch
For this exercise, you need to have a towel. Here is how you should do the exercise:
• Lie down on the floor with a towel around the one thigh.
• Lift the leg with the support of the towel trying to keep it as straight as possible.
• Hold your feet in the same position for nearly 10 seconds.
• Repeat the same for the other leg.
This exercise works towards increasing flexibility of your hamstring.
5. Leg squats
This type of physiotherapy exercise requires no extra equipment.
• Stand on both legs spread straight.
• Start going in a position to sit down and bend both the knees in a way that your knees stretch out.
• Repeat this exercise for ten repetitions and three sets.
Squats are considered to be one of the best exercises for legs, and you should learn how to squat correctly for best results. Quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves are some of the muscles that benefit drastically from this exercise.
There are several ways through which physiotherapy and massage therapy in Lethbridge can help patients to improve mobility and recover from an injury. Patients can visit a physiotherapist to know how they can improve balance and flexibility. If you are unable to travel to the physiotherapist’s center because of the leg injury, then you can contact us and our physiotherapist will come to your place and help you with physiotherapy exercises for your leg.