Leg injuries are common among senior citizens and sportspeople. Leg injuries come uninvited and leave the person with limited flexibility or mobility. When a person suffers a leg injury, the individual may have to rely on others for doing day-to-day activities. Physiotherapists will suggest several ways to increase mobility and fitness with the help of physiotherapy. Both massage therapy and physiotherapy can work towards gaining the necessary mobility and flexibility in the injured leg. Here are five physiotherapy exercises that can help you get back to performing your routine activities like walking, jumping or running in quick time.
1. Double knee to chest raises
In this exercise, a patient may not require any equipment. Here is how you can do this exercise at home:
• Lay down on the mat with your legs and hands stretched out.
• Bring both the knees slowly towards your chest.
• Place your hands just below the knees and above the shin.
• Hold your knees in the same position for 10 seconds.
• Release your hands from the legs.
• Slowly bring the knees back to their original position.
This stretching activity is beneficial when done for at least ten times. One of the significant benefits of this exercise is it assists in freeing up the lower back muscles that have become stiff since your injury.
2. Flat leg cycles
Here is how you can perform this physiotherapy exercise:
• Lay down on the mat with your hands and legs stretched out.
• Raise your legs nearly 60 degrees and spread out your arms at an angle that can provide proper support.
• Start moving your legs as you would paddle your bicycle with your legs raised.
• Repeat this exercise for nearly 20 repetitions.
This exercise has two benefits. The number one is it will strengthen your abdominal muscles. Plus, it will support the hip muscles that became stiff because of the leg injury.
3. Full knee extension
For this exercise, a patient would require a chair. Here is how one should do the training:
• Sit on a high chair that can provide your knee a ninety-degree bend.
• Slowly raise your one leg and stretch it till it becomes horizontal.
• Hold the same position for five seconds and slowly bring the leg back down to its original position.
• Repeat the same steps for another leg.
This exercise should be done 20 times repeatedly for each leg. Doing this exercise can assist you in strengthening knee muscles and enhancing your ability to stand. Furthermore, knee extensions can also improve knee rotation motion.
4. Hamstring stretch
For this exercise, you need to have a towel. Here is how you should do the exercise:
• Lie down on the floor with a towel around the one thigh.
• Lift the leg with the support of the towel trying to keep it as straight as possible.
• Hold your feet in the same position for nearly 10 seconds.
• Repeat the same for the other leg.
This exercise works towards increasing flexibility of your hamstring.
5. Leg squats
This type of physiotherapy exercise requires no extra equipment.
• Stand on both legs spread straight.
• Start going in a position to sit down and bend both the knees in a way that your knees stretch out.
• Repeat this exercise for ten repetitions and three sets.
Squats are considered to be one of the best exercises for legs, and you should learn how to squat correctly for best results. Quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves are some of the muscles that benefit drastically from this exercise.
There are several ways through which physiotherapy and massage therapy in Lethbridge can help patients to improve mobility and recover from an injury. Patients can visit a physiotherapist to know how they can improve balance and flexibility. If you are unable to travel to the physiotherapist’s center because of the leg injury, then you can contact us and our physiotherapist will come to your place and help you with physiotherapy exercises for your leg.