How Are We Responding To The COVID-19 Outbreak?
From the outset of this world event, InHome Physical Therapy & Massage has taken it very seriously. We know that the best thing that we can do to make sure our patients are cared for is to ensure that we are not bringing this virus to them or their family members. That is why we stepped up our already advanced Infection Control Policy more than 2 weeks ago.
We are following all recommendations put forth by Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer and we will continue to take sanitizing, disinfection and barriers (when necessary), to exceptional levels. To that end, it is very important to us that we make sure that you are aware of the additional steps that we are taking.
It is important that you feel confident and comfortable when you or your loved one is working with us. We are open for business and continuing to practice best practice policies in all aspects of our business.
What else have we been doing?
- We are being vigilant by staying up to date with all of the information and we are responding rapidly to any recommendations made by Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer. We must be ready to act swiftly to changes suggested by experts in the field.
- Our physiotherapists, massage therapists, kinesiologists and staff are being asked to maintain recommended social distancing among their community interactions (by keeping our staff healthy we can ensure you will stay healthy).
- We are asking patients to cancel and re-book in 14 days should they have recently (within the last month) traveled out of the country or if they have ANY sign of illness.
- We are hoping patients will tell us they have traveled or are ill but will be asking each patient whether they have traveled or have any sign of illness before each appointment (please don’t be offended, we are doing this to protect one another).
- We have already enacted a self-isolating protocol for any of our staff who have reported illness (even a cold) or have traveled.
What can YOU do?
- Stay up to date but please don’t panic or be a part of the hysteria that this event is creating. The stress of these events can have health consequences as well.
- Follow the recommendations that Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, is sharing by clicking here. I believe that she is doing a wonderful job of sharing the facts, keeping people up to date and remaining a calming force during an alarming time.
- Thank front line medical workers. Too often we take them for granted and in these stressful times, we owe it to them to show kindness and appreciation.
- Attend if you ARE well and have NOT traveled in the last month. Please keep your appointment. The world has not stopped and your pains are as important today as ever.
- You need to wash your hands, avoid touching your face and try to avoid larger crowds. We suggest that you also eat well, sleep well and practice mind healthy behaviors like meditation, reading or journal writing.
- Frequent a local business that may be hurting as a result of this crisis. I am sure they will be taking similar precautions as we are to protect you and the risk of failing businesses in Alberta is real.
If you are not sure whether you should be seen by one of our therapists
Please take the ONLINE SELF ASSESSMENT prior to attending or canceling an appointment.
As of March 13, 2020 – here is the update from the Alberta Government Website:
The Government of Alberta is leading the way and we are fully behind the strong leadership of our Medical System.
I would like to personally thank everyone involved in the response to this event. Access to factual, timely and scientific information has helped guide us as practitioners, business people, and human beings. Here is what they are presently sharing with Albertans:
COVID-19 Online Screening – Stop the Spread
Identifying and isolating people infected with COVID-19 is the only way to stop the spread. The symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, dry cough or other cold or influenza-like symptoms.
Use the online screening tool to determine whether you need to call 811 to get tested. If you are awaiting COVID-19 test results, please do not call Health Link. You will be called directly. It can take up to four days.
NOTE: You do not need to be tested for COVID-19 if in the past 14 days you have not traveled outside Canada or had contact with someone diagnosed as having COVID-19.
Thank you for reading this and for continuing to trust us with your or your family’s care!
Contact InHome Physical Therapy & Massage today if you have any questions.